Kitefoiling Coaching Camps
Soma Bay, Egypt 1st - 8th June 2019
Progression has a long history with Egypt, filming all our early instructional video there. This will be our first camp in Soma Bay but it is a popular spot with other British kiteboarding coaches, who go there year after year because of the consistent wind, warm water and amazing setup offered by the watersports centre. If you are looking to get your kite foiling up a level so you can continue your progression through the summer, there isn’t going to be a better place to start.
This camp is for Intermediate and Advanced foilers, we are considering a beginner camp for those who have no foiling experience at a later date if there is enough interested – please let us know if you would be keen.
We’ll be staying at The Breakers, a kite and dive specific hotel located right on the waterfront. This newly built hotel offers air-conditioned rooms and with half board dining across a selection of restaurants, it will give us the perfect base to so you can focus all your time and energy on your foiling progression.
The watersports centre, where we’ll spend most of our time, is a short shuttle bus ride away, offering kit storage, its own restaurant and plenty of space for us to run our morning beach coaching session, setting you up for an epic day of foiling.
Wind and Weather
Soma Bay has some of the most consistent wind statistics and it’s the morning that is often when the strong winds blow through – the hotel and watersports centre are well prepared for this, ensuring early morning sessions are on offer. For us, this means we can first practice techniques in strong winds, with smaller kites, a great way to master skills without the worry of light wind water relaunching or stalling kites. Then as the winds moderate in the afternoon, us foilers will be able to keep on riding, transferring skills over to our bigger kites, ensuring you get most out of your time with us.
The wind blows cross-offshore, giving us flat water and plenty of deep water foiling perfection. The watersports centre has full rescue cover so you can push yourself knowing, whatever the conditions, you’ll always have that back up if you struggle to relaunch your kite.
And its Egypt, so expect bath like water, blue skies and warm winds. This means you have the option to ride with the freedom of no wetsuit – though a shortie could be worth bring for a little added protection seeing as with foiling we all know there are gonna be a few splashes and crashes!
Coaching – what to expect
Progression Live prides itself on the quality of coaching we offer – deep insight and understanding have always been a key part of Progression’s DNA and we feel we can best offer this by way of smaller groups, a maximum of 8 with two coaches. This ensures that you get the most out of your foiling experience with us and throughout the week achieve the goals which we set together.
Every student learns differently, some needing just a few pointers throughout the day, where others a more in-depth guided process – we’ll tailor your experience to best suit your needs and ensure you get the most out of the week. Everyone is given a daily objective in the mornings briefing, and we then expect you to go off and give this a good go, we’ll be on the beach and water observing, giving you pointers but crucially one of us is always available for you to come and ask questions. Progression’s aim is to help you reach your own potential, we’ll push hard when you need it but ensure you have fun, ending every day with a smile on your face and new challenges accomplish, whether they are big or small. And it’s not just about what you learn on the camp, you’ll leave with a personalise Progression Plan guiding you through the next stages of your foiling progression.
The normal daily schedule assuming the strong morning winds are firing:
- Breakfast around 6:30 am with discussions of initial objectives for each rider for the morning session
- Shuttle to the beach at 7:30
- Quick warm up, kit setup and onto the water by 8-8:30 for a 2-3 hour session
- Regroup at the watersports centre for an early lunch and review of the morning’s session.
- As the wind moderates, we’ll probably be ready to move up to bigger kites for our afternoon session.
- We tend to ride with one coach on the water going around between all students and pointing out where you’re going right and wrong. The other coach will be on the beach ready to offer support with kites, foils and questions you have as you try new techniques.
- We also film and take photographs throughout the week, which then becomes an essential part of the land-based briefing sessions. Because of the nature of the early morning wind, these briefings will be slotted in at different parts of the day and evening, so we can ensure we make the most of the best wind each day.
- All capped off with a sundowner on the watersport centres deck, before heading back to the hotel for dinner.
Who is this clinic best suited too?
- You already own your own hydrofoil
- You’ve already had a few session and at minimum are able to waterstart and riding along off the foil.
- Through to foilers who are up and riding comfortably on the foil but you want to improve your technique and learn gybes and tacks.
Whatever your level do get in touch and we can discuss if this particular clinic will be best for you.
What else is included in this price?
- 6 days coaching with Danny and Rob
- 7 nights accommodation and half board at the Breakers Hotel – 2 sharing a room, single occupation option available.
- Transfer from the AIrport to the Hotel
- Daily shuttle bus between hotel and sport centre
- Shared locker for kit storage at the sport centre
- Access to a variety of F-One and Airush foils and surfboards to help with learning new techniques
- Unique Progression Live camp t-shirt
What’s not included?
- Flights (In the region of £525 – LGW – Hurgada)
- Lunch at the Sport Centre
Booking with Planet
We work our travel partner Planet Kitesurf who will be able to assist you with your booking. All aspects of the accommodation, flights, transfers can be tailored to your needs and if you’re interested in staying longer or even heading off for some other adventures whilst there, they will be able to sort this all out for you.
Still got questions?
About the Location
Meet your Coaches
Pro Kiter, F-ONE Ambassador
From competing as a teen to travelling the world with the sport, Danny has over 15 years experience with kitesurfing and has grown up living and breathing it. Now one of the UK’s most competent free ride foilers, Danny is passionate about coaching and helping people gain access into this new area of the sport.
Progression owner, script writing, filmer, editor…
Rob’s passion has always been in watersports, a past world champion windsurfer, 20 years experience as a kitesurfer and for last 15 years helping over 200,000 kiters learn and improve with his Progression series of kitesurfing videos, DVDs and apps. Now his own obsession for kite foiling, has led him to find ways to make foiling accessible to the whole kiting community.