Kitefoiling Coaching Camps
Dakhla, Morocco 5th-12th October
This will be Progression Live’s second year of heading to Dahkla – it’s infamous as one of the top kiting destinations, offering flat water and strong reliable wind. We choose October as we feel its better suited to foiling, with slightly more moderate winds and boy it proved to be right last year when we got 6 out of 6 days on the water. For 2019 we’re heading back for two camps back to back, the first from the 5th – 12th October 2019 and the second from the 12th-19th October. Dakhla’s isolated location and flat water lagoon mean it’s the ultimate spot to focus 100% on improving your foiling this year.
Kiteboard Club (KBC) is a new hotel and watersports centre which we will be based at for this year’s Morocco trip. Located right on the waterfront we’ll be able to see the first signs of breeze allowing us to maximise your time on the water. The hotel and centre are newly built, complete with a swimming pool and a massage room to cure all the aches and pains from many hours of riding. There’s plenty of space for our land coaching sessions on the front deck, a core part of your Progression Live camp. And with this being full board, the excellent restaurant ensures we have nothing to worry about other than kite foiling, kite foiling and more kite foiling.
Wind and Weather
For those of you who haven’t heard about Dakhla’s kiting before, it’s world-class, mainly renowned for its flat waters and the consistency of wind that it gets. The prevailing wind comes from the North, getting pulled in as the desert heats up. Mornings can start light, getting us started with some big kite foiling, and then the afternoons can pick up to 20-25 knots, perfect for learning on smaller kites which offer some advantages for learning certain techniques. The lagoon is a very safe place to kite with the added security of the centre’s rescue boats to assist whenever needed.
October is a great time for a foiling clinic as the winds are not quite so strong, but consistently 12 knots and above, also with fewer people on the water. It is a big lagoon so there is always plenty of space for us to explore as our foils allow us to go pretty much anywhere! One of the advantages of being based at the new KBC centre is that at high tide we have easier access to deeper water.
Coaching – what to expect
Progression Live prides itself on the quality of coaching we offer – deep insight and understanding have always been a key part of Progression’s DNA and we feel we can best offer this by way of smaller groups, a maximum of 8 with two coaches. This ensures that you get the most out of your foiling experience with us and throughout the week achieve the goals which we set together.
Every student learns differently, some needing just a few pointers throughout the day, where others a more in-depth guided process – we’ll tailor your experience to best suit your needs and ensure you get the most out of the week. Everyone is given a daily objective in the mornings briefing, and we then expect you to go off and give this a good go, we’ll be on the beach and water observing, giving you pointers but crucially one of us is always available for you to come and ask questions. Progressions aim is help you reach your own potential, we’ll push hard when you need it but ensure you have fun, ending every day with a smile on your face and new challenges accomplish, whether they are big or small. And it’s not just about what you learn on the camp, you’ll leave with a personalise Progression Plan guiding you through the next stages of your foiling progression.
The normal daily structure is:
- Breakfast around 9 am
- Land coaching at KBC around 10 am, this is where you’ll get your daily learning objective and we’ll be going over any footage that will help you master your next foiling manoeuvre.
- We’ll assess the conditions day-to-day, but we’ll normally meet down the beach between 11-12pm for some stretching and a warm up ready to make the most of the building light breeze so be sure to bring your big and small kites.
- A quick lunch in the hotel around 2 pm, before most likely changing down a size ready for a long afternoon on the water.
- We tend to ride with one coach on the water going around between all students and pointing out where you’re going right and wrong. The other coach will be on the beach ready to offer support with kites, foils and questions you have as you try new techniques.
- We also film and take photographs throughout the week, which then becomes an essential part of the morning briefing sessions. All of this ensures you’ll make heaps of Progression in your week with us.
- All capped off with a sundowner on the KBC deck followed by dinner at the restaurant
Who is this clinic best suited too?
- You already own your own hydrofoil
- You’ve already had a few session and at minimum are able to waterstart and riding along off the foil.
- Through to foilers who are up and riding comfortably on the foil but you want to improve your technique and learn gybes and tacks.
- Whatever your level do get in touch and we can discuss if this particular clinic will be best for you.
What else is included in this price?
- 6 days coaching with Danny and Rob
- 7 nights accommodation and full board at KBC – 2 sharing a room, single occupation option available.
- Transfers from the Airport to KBC Daklha
- Shared locker for kit storage at KBC
- Access to a variety of F-One and Airush foils and surfboards to help with learning new techniques
- Unique Progression Live camp t-shirt
What’s not included?
- Flights (In the region of £450 – LGW – Dakhla, via Casablanca)
Booking with Planet
We work with our travel partner Planet Kitesurf who will be able to assist you with your booking. All aspects of the accommodation, flights, transfers can be tailored to your needs and if you’re interested in staying longer or even heading off for some other adventures whilst there, they will be able to sort this all out for you.
Still got questions?
About the Location
Meet your Coaches
Pro Kiter, Airush International Team Rider
From competing as a teen to travelling the world with the sport, Danny has over 12 years experience with kitesurfing and has grown up living and breathing it. Now one of the UK’s most competent free ride foilers, Danny is passionate about coaching and helping people gain access into this new area of the sport.
Progression owner, script writing, filmer, editor…
Rob’s passion has always been in watersports, a past world champion windsurfer, 17 years experience as a kitesurfer and for last 13 years helping over 200,000 kiters learn and improve with his Progression series of kitesurfing videos, DVDs and apps. Now his own obsession for kite foiling, has led him to find ways to make foiling accessible to the whole kiting community.